Thursday, January 1, 2015

the list that wrapped up 2014.

i remember, quite clearly, writing my new year's post for 2013. and i remember, even more clearly, that i said that my new year's resolution was going to be to blog more.

HA. HAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHA OOPS.

sorry about that, kids. but i became an adult. and being an adult is kind of weird. and it means that you don't really have as much free time as you think. or maybe you just choose to spend your free time differently than you did in college.

2013 was a really great year. i went to three different countries in the course of a month, i went to oregon twice (once for a conference, once for a really fun wedding), and i fell out and back in love.

2013 was really really great.

comparatively, 2014 was just been kind of... average. like, killer average.

i can't stay up until midnight anymore. that whole "adult" thing, man, it just like... kills everything that you ever did in college. so last night i didn't stay up until two o'clock in the morning making this post.

i hope you can forgive me.

but now it's time for the list that wrapped up 2014 and we'll see exactly how average or extraordinary my year was.

THE LIST THAT WRAPPED UP 2014.

1. i, uh, well... i graduated from college.


that was pretty cool. english literature degree with honour's. ending the best four years of my life.

2. i became awkwardly obsessed with painting birdhouses. and i painted like... thirty in just a few weeks.

3. i wrote a five page paper in 25 minutes. I KNOW HOW TO COLLEGE.

4. for the same class of the 25 minute five page paper, i made a presentation worth 30% of my grade an hour before i had to present it. GOT AN A IN THE CLASS.

5. I FINALLY, AFTER FOUR EFFIN' YEARS, GOT A 4.0 IN MY LAST SEMESTER OF COLLEGE.

6. i finished my senior thesis. all 270 pages of it.


proud momma right there.

7. i slipped on a pool deck and split my chin open. FIVE STITCHES.

8. i had my first hangover? should i be posting that on here? is my dad reading this?

9. i finished my fourth consecutive blog every day in june go! challenge. and then never blogged again OOPS SORRY.

10. i got a little bit too close to a live alligator that was sunning itself in my grandpa's backyard.


i really like alligators. my brother kept me from getting closer than this.

11. i also met a turtle. he was pretty nice, just making his way down the boardwalk.

12. i went to florida with my brother to hang out with my grandpa. which is where i met the turtle and the alligator. i should've prefaced this.

13. also whilst in florida, i found a bunch of cool shark teeth and it was pretty neat.


14. i became the crazy bearded dragon lady that everyone knew i would become. seriously. hamlet has an instagram. @hamletthegrump. HIT IT UP.

15. i watched the olympic opening ceremonies at a bar instead of the comfort of my own home. being slightly drunk made the background music of heavy metal and rowdy middle aged men much more tolerable.

16. i went to what will probably be my last formal dance.

17. I MADE A BLUE VELVET CAKE?!


18. i finally read each harry potter book 50 times. you read that correctly. 50. TIMES. EACH. 


(no, i have not read the spanish ones 50 times each. sorry.)

19. i had some really good times in my van. trips to detroit, trips to alma, trips to wixom, and most important, trips to the MECHANIC.

20. my alternator died on the way to alma and i managed to coax my van into the parking space in front of my apartment building just seconds before it died and didn't run again for a month.

21. i then had it towed a total of two times in two months in weather under 10 degrees! woo!

22. my tire also blew out and i crashed into a guard rail at seventy miles an hour.


what a vehicle. it will turn 17 this year.

23. since this is number 23, i can say that i turned 23! and maybe people don't like me like that blink 182 song, but maybe they do. i don't know. i'm still trying to like myself.

24. my mom made me a super badass birthday cake. look at this thing.


25. MY BEST FRIEND GOT MARRIED!!!


26. and i got to be a bridesmaid!!!


27. i got my first manicure. it hurt a lot.


them nails, tho

28. i spent a beautiful evening with a beautiful couple on beautiful lake michigan.


it's kind of dark. whatever. it was awesome.

29. i sang in my last ever alma choirs concert. and not a word of it was in english.

30. when my man friend came back from scotland, i picked him up at the detroit airport and i got lost trying to find the international terminal and i ended up paying five dollars to park my van, where i accidentally knocked off a guy's side mirror.

31. when adam got through customs and i met him in the terminal i cried in front of a lot of people.

32. I WENT AND SAW VANCE JOY AND YOUNG THE GIANT.


I'M WAITING FOR THIS COUGH SYRUPPP TO COME DOWWWNNNN

33. i went garage saling and expanding my VHS tape collection to include pulp fiction, men in tights, the silence of the lambs, the fellowship of the ring, finding nemo, and aladdin. (i also got arsenic and old lace for christmas!)

34. i climbed a mountain. well, kind of. i hiked on a mountain.


35. i learned how to say no. so i quit my internship.

36. adam painted my back.


paint on your skin feels really good, by the way.

37. i presented my senior thesis at honour's day.

38. i also presented it for the kapp prize, which i did not win. but alas, it was pretty awesome.

39. i presented my poetry at the second annual see spot run writers' symposium with some of my favourite people. 


40. i got a steady job working part time at a ballet school. and i absolutely love it.

41. i went to my first REAL ballet. presented by the students at the school that i work at.

42. i'm also my old high school's swim coach. and i've loved every second of it so far.

43. i walked all night at relay for life in remembrance of my aunt and in honour of my grandmother and my church mentor.

44. i came out as bisexual publicly.


45. i had another adult christmas in which i received an electric toothbrush and flatware. SO EXCITING.

46. i learned how to knit and my life has never been the same. knit all day. sleep never.

47. i went back to alma for homecoming and realised that i'm done with college. i didn't think i was. but i am. i have moved on.

48. I SAW BEN FOLDS BACKED UP BY OUR SYMPHONY FOR THE SECOND TIME AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.


49. i built a snow fort with a frying pan when it was negative two degrees outside. it was pretty awesome.


50. i lived.

so 2014 wasn't as average as i thought. i mean, i graduated from college and i'm in that adult transition. (where hopefully i'll be moving out of my parents' house soon.)

i don't need a year like 2013 where i learn incredible life lessons, fall in love with myself, travel all over britain and the US, and discover a plethora of new bands. i don't need that every single year to have a good life.

i just need to look back at all i've accomplished, including the little things. 

2015 will hopefully bring super good things. i always foolishly hope that it will.

and i'll try to blog more, i promise. emphasis on the word try.

No comments:

Post a Comment