Wednesday, June 3, 2015

the birthday post!

welp, it's june third, and you know what that means.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!

as i said earlier in this challenge, my birthday is something that i look forward to a little too much. (i don't even know why? i don't even really do anything fun for my birthday anymore?) and i try to play it off by saying that i don't care about my birthday.

like last year, when i turned twenty-three, i was all like "ugh i'm not looking forward to my birthday because twenty-three is such a weird age" when in reality i just told you that my birthday was coming up.

smooth, i know.

this birthday felt a little more special than most birthdays. i suppose my next birthday is going to be pretty intense because it's like QUARTER CENTURY, FEEL OLD BUT STILL BE YOUNG AND VITAL.

but i've been looking forward to this birthday for about ten years, because twenty-four is my favourite number, and now i am twenty-four.

i have 365 days to be my favourite number! i get to live it! I GET TO LIVE MY FAVOURITE NUMBER!

like in how i met your mother when marshall is like, THEY LIVED THE STAR WARS, TED.

i woke up this morning, on my birthday, and i thought two things.

1. i feel the same. go figure.
2. i could wake up next to my man friend every day.

last night i went to michigan to see my long haired man friend for the first time in two months. we are now back at my house and he is laying on my bed behind me currently talking about marvel superheroes with my brother.

besides having my man friend here to celebrate my birthday, what else could i do to make it special?

i got my free starbucks drink. the perks of starbucks rewards.

i got my birthday doughnut. after three bites it started to taste like fish and i was like ????? and then i was like !!!!! and i didn't finish it.

to be fair, it was from kroger. i wanted to get dunkin donuts on the way to my house, but my phone directed me to a dunkin donuts that no longer existed and instead dumped me off at a kroger. so... kroger fish doughnut.

my mom has this really cool habit of making my brother and i really badass birthday cakes. and even if it wasn't badass, it was always homemade. she bought a store bought cake for my seventeenth birthday and i was genuinely disappointed.

EMILY'S BIRTHDAY CAKES OVER THE YEARS

1. ballet shoes
2. a fishbowl
3. a goldfish
4. a princess castle
5. a golden snitch
6. a lion
7. a stegosaurus
8. a bumblebee

a few days before my birthday, my mom was like, "soooooo i know this is a special birthday to you because you're like, living your favourite number or whatever, so i need to know what type of cake you want because like, i work full time and i need to actually make it for you?"

so then i was like, OMG THIS MY SPECIAL BIRTHDAY AND I NEED A SPECIAL CAKE THAT I WON'T REGRET OMG THIS IS SUCH A BIG DECISION.

if you know me well at all, then you know that one, i was anxious about this, and two, i've been completely and utterly obsessed with daredevil lately.

me: can you make a cake that looks like charlie cox's ass?
my mom: i don't have a butt pan.
me: (googles butt pan)
me: WHAT HAVE I DONE


spiderman butt cake. for your viewing pleasure.

since i couldn't have a cake shaped like daredevil's ass, i went to the internet and consulted pinterest for other superhero cakes.

i found out a few things very quickly.

THINGS EMILY FOUND OUT ABOUT SUPERHERO CAKES

1. daredevil doesn't exist. which makes sense. because let's be real, that movie from 2003 was AWFUL.

2. most stuff is like, IRON MAN! who's cool, but tony stark is a dick.

3. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! that's cool, but it's missing black widow and my mom ain't got time for that.

4. WHY THE @#%#$% IS BATMAN IN ALL THESE AVENGERS CAKES?

i understand that batman is a popular superhero. he is pretty much the DC equivalent of daredevil, but with like... mountains of money. he's cool. he has a great film franchise going.

BUT HE DOES NOT BELONG IN MY MARVEL CAKE.

i am very passionate about this.

marvel sits over here. on the throne of glory.

DC, at least for me, doesn't even get to come into the throne room.

fight me.

i spent a decent amount of time staring at these blasphemous cakes. then i texted adam on my high and mighty marvel throne like, WHY IS BATMAN HERE and he was like, well batman is popular and i was like, WELL I KNOW BUT HE SHOULD NOT BE IN MY MARVEL CAKE and he was like, i think you're taking this a little too personally and i was like, BATMAN NEEDS TO LEAVE MY CAKE AND GO CRY IN HIS MONEY.

i dropped the idea of a superhero cake. decided to go for something a little easier and less anger inducing.

my favourite animal is the lion, and i had my lion birthday cake for my twenty-first birthday. so then i thought, what other animals do i like?

owls. i like owls.



looking up owl cakes was an experience. there were some really cute ones, some absolutely terrifying ones, and a bunch that mom definitely did not have time to do.


LIKE, THIS SHOWED UP? THIS ISN'T EVEN AN OWL?

but i found one! and my mom was like, "that's chill. i can do that."

phew.

long story short, i've had a good birthday. this morning i woke up next to my man friend, drove three hours to fort wayne and had a weird doughnut and a free coffee, spent a lot of time cuddling with my man friend, and took a nice walk. i celebrated with both sets of my grandparents and had a really nice glass of blackberry merlot.

and i got to have this awesome owl cake.


it's been another year, it's been another birthday, and another day where i found weird and terrifying things on the internet.

next year: quarter century.

THAT will be a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment